Friday, June 26, 2020

Lockdown on Merry Wind Farm

I don't know why it is so hard for me to keep up with blogging.  I love to read blogs, 
I think about blogging all the time, I take pictures on my phone to share, then 
never get them transferred to the computer to share.  

Oh well....

I know so many people are really suffering emotionally and mentally from the lockdown.
I guess they are all normal people who need and enjoy the company of others.
I am definitely not a normal person.  Left to my own devices, I would
probably become a hermit.  

I have only been off the farm a handful of times in the last 3 months.  I have everything 
delivered or my son gets it for me.  And I hate to admit I've been enjoying it!
For me, it is like I don't have to feel guilty for not leaving the house for days at a time, that 
makes me feel like I am just lazy.  Which I am not.  I just prefer to be at home with 
the animals and my gardens and hobbies than to be out with people.

Of course, financially it is quite nasty.  For at least two months I did not
have any bnb guests, except for one man who stays with me every week  and
has an essential job in the next town.  Things have been starting to pick up recently.

I'll share a few photos that I actually have on this computer.  The first is Grace Stewart.  


Remember I was trying to locate her genealogy a few months ago?  I never did have
any luck.  There are two other samplers that I know of with the same building.
Both were stitched in Perthshire during the early 1800.s  Grace's sampler is a little
late for an unregistered birth, so I am thinking that perhaps one or more of her parents used a 
different name than the initials.  Kind of like a James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser!
I have exhausted all of the ways that I know to search for her.  Maybe someday I will have more time!  Available in my Etsy shop or your favorite needlework shop for $19.00.

I have spent a great deal of time outdoors during the last few months.  I love gardening and being outside with nature.  As soon as the heat and humidity kicks in, that will be it for me!!




Someone posted pictures of a wall of red samplers, so of course I have decided
that I want one too!  Here are my first two samplers for it.  The first photo is my inspiration.





This is Jane Marshall from HATS.  Many of you probably also stitched her as a benefit to an Australia fire department.

I have also been working on this.  It is a top for a sewing box and various accessories 
that was from GPA a few years ago.  There are also lots of fun little wooden
accessories to go in the box.  Most of the stitching is now complete, I just need
to find a box.  The name of this project was Mary Robinson, but I have chosen to leave her name off.



Well that's it for now.  I hope there aren't too many errors in this, I think the reason I never
get around to posting is that I make too big a deal out of it!

Stay safe and well.
Melinda
xxx

9 comments:

  1. Those large white flowers are gorgeous. I'm assuming the pink is a rose of some sort but whatever it is, beautiful on that fence. I am not bothered much by the pandemic orders either, not an extrovert at all. Staying home on property as wonderful as yours would not be hard at all! That box top design will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace is beautiful, & love your yard.
    Good luck with your red Sampler wall, you have a good start.
    I'm like you, I love to stay home, don't like crowds.
    Take care.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda - your property is beautiful and I love the red samplers. I enjoy being out & about but I’m also just as content to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear of fellow homebodies! I do like to get out, just to run an errand or two, but am very happy to be home.
    Love your gardens! We are plagued by poison ivy, and a big ole bear decided to cut through my yard once or twice, so that limits my time in the yard!!
    Also loving your red samplers! I’ve been working on some blue ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melinda,
    Your pieces are always so beautiful and I enjoy seeing your lovely yard and flowers!! Love the idea of red samplers, too!!!
    I guess Dorothy got it right when she said, "There's no place like HOME!"
    Take care and keep safe and well!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought I could be a recluse, but this pandemic has shown me I wouldn't be very good at it. I love being home, but I guess knowing there is really no place to go or things to do things bothers me. I have been in a real funk.
    I love your red samplers! I also purchased that Australian sampler but of course have not stitched it...lol! I bought it more as a donation.
    I'm happy the bnb is picking up a bit. I have had no vending or consigning and that really hurts, too.
    As always, your yard is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot be a hermit. I need to talk to folks...so working our one store on weekends is my therapy. Always enjoy seeing your samplers. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens are lovely. I am the same as you about blogging....good intentions, not so much on follow through. Your sampler wall is nice. And I like a red room....my dining room is red. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm catching up still on blog reading. Love seeing all your lovely samplers! The red sampler wall looks wonderful! Your garden is beautiful too! I agree with you -- for me life hasn't changed too much since I mostly stay home anyway.

    ReplyDelete